Blogger Templates

Pages

Monday 20 October 2014

A WORK-IN-PROGRESS CRAFTER

Hello everyone

Where does the time go?  Do you find that at this time of year the days and weeks disappear much faster than in the summer?  I seem to have so much work-in-progress (WIP) or is it that I just start too many things that I use WIP as an excuse?

I seem to spend a lot of time running to keep up, trying to remember all of the things I have to do, and thinking of all the new things I really must try when I have the time!  It could be that I still suffer from the disease I suffered from when I was a wage slave - an inability to say 'no, I really don't have the time to do that'.  I used to say 'yes, I can do that' and then panic because I knew I was over-committed.  Now, I still have a problem saying no, but justify it by telling myself it is okay because it is my own business that might suffer if I say no.  Oh dear, will I never learn?

The good news for me is that I have actually made (or begun to make) some stock for the events I am taking part in as an exhibitor - and I have really enjoyed getting back in the crafting saddle again.  Yes, it is still work-in-progress, but hey everything has to have a beginning, middle and end.


My trusty glue-gun was used for this - holds the large gold Poinsettia in place and also the fabric centre I added to it.  I still have work to do on this wreath, but at the moment I am not too sure what other embellishments I will add.


More work-in-progress and no, not the beginning of the five Olympic rings.  These have been covered in ribbon and one has had string wrapped around it too.  I have lots of embellishments to add, just need to plan the design.

I had planned to write this blog post yesterday, but WIP got in the way!  The usual things that always take longer than planned: cars to garages for MOTs and repairs, kittens to cuddle, cats to feed and also cuddle, plants to plant out ready for winter and spring, plants to bring into the greenhouse away from winter, family and friends visits to arrange, and life generally.

My 'Me Day' on Thursdays is still very enjoyable.  I feel that I am at long last moving forward with my designs.  They still don;t always resemble what my mind's eye sees, but they are not as disappointing as they used to be.  I have been working on getting to grips with noses, lips and eyes this term and this is my first offering of the new style hat man:



Believe me, it is a big improvement from the Mick Jagger-look-a-like lips I was producing and sticking onto a tube of clay.  The Tate Modern will be on the phone any day now, so watch this space.

Back to WIP now - I was recently invited to take part in a Christmas Market taking place on the evening of 4 December, so I really have to make sure the WIP becomes WIF (work is finished) because my two-day event follows soon after.

Have a great week everyone and I am linking up this week with Handmade Monday and Creative Mondays, so don't forget to check out the bloggers taking part.  

See you next week

Jill

8 comments:

  1. Wow I love how your original hat man has developed, I think this one is a definite improvement. I also love how your wreaths are developing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to see some more of your pottery. I think he looks wonderful. The wreaths are going to be gorgeous, love the bright ribbon you've used. Cat cuddling going on in our house too as there is now just me and OH at home. Our cat is doing a good impression of a crying baby at the moment. Have a very crafty week.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wreaths, Jill. The poinsettia one is gorgeous x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the new style Hat Man, like you I have far too many WIP, is it because we love to start New projects that we're easily distracted?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pottery is fabulous. I love the wreath you made; especially the colors you used. It will soon be time for that special time of year. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No really is the hardest word sometimes isn't it... especially when a crafty business comes with a never ending 'to do' list!

    Love the wreath with the poinsettia, such a gorgeous colour. I'm glad to hear you are still carving out a little you time, your ceramic creations get better and better, that face is fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a rest after reading your post lol where do you find time to eat and rest? Can't wait to see your wreaths finished. Oh and your hat man is great love the expression - would love to have seen the Mick Jagger look. thanks for popping over to my blog earlier - Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very difficult to fit everything in but I'm glad to see you can squeeze in a bit of me time too and produce such a wonderful Hat Man in the process :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it is always lovely to have feedback and I hope you enjoyed my post.